I get this question a lot and while most people know that strength training (either with free weights, weight machines, or resistance bands) can help build and maintain muscle mass and strength, there’s also several other benefits that strength training camp provide. Let’s take a look at them:
1. Improved bone density = reduced risk for osteoporosis
2. Improved metabolism = helps with weight loss
3. Improved heart health = helps to lower blood pressure, decrease resting heart rate, and improve cholesterol
4. Improved confidence and mood = helps improve body image as well as reduce stress and anxiety.
5. Improved sleep = your body can’t repair itself and heal without proper rest and exercise has been proven to lead to better zzz’s
6. Improved brain function = releases endorphins and helps improve cognitive function.
As you can see the benefits are amazing and it doesn’t require a big gym and fancy equipment (although there is nothing wrong with that). A lot of things can be done in your home with everyday items.
What other questions do you have? Let me know below or send me an email @ firstname.lastname@example.org. I am here to help!
Dr. Ladd's views on performance improvement, injury prevention and sometimes other random thoughts.